The Flatbush Seventh-day Adventist School is operated with the highest Christian standards and ideals. Although no religious test is applied to those who apply for admission, the school has for its definite purpose the development of spiritual ideas. Therefore, no practices or influence will be permitted which would mitigate against the attainment of this objective in character training of students attending the school.
EVERY EFFORT WILL BE MADE TO STIMULATE STUDENTS TO WORTHY SCHOLASTIC ENDEAVOR AND CONSISTENT CHRISTIAN LIVING, BUT THE SCHOOL BOARD WILL NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT IN SYMPATHY WITH ITS ANNOUNCED PURPOSES, OR WHOSE BEHAVIOR IS INCONSISTENT WITH THE SCHOOLS’ REQUIREMENTS. ALL STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO OBEY ALL RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE SCHOOL. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN SUSPENSION OR DISMISSAL FROM THE SCHOOL.
Causes For Suspension
- Failure to present an authorized written excuse after being absent.
- Failure to wear a uniform without a written excuse from parents.
- Instigating or participating in fights.
- Leaving the school without permission.
- Tampering with or damaging school property.
- Theft of any kind.
- Wearing of colored lipstick, eye shadow, colored or frosty nail polish any other gaudy artificial cosmetics; jewelry, such as earrings, rings, necklaces, bracelets, or any jewelry to school.
- Use of profane, indecent language, indulging in loud conduct or possession of obscene literature or pictures.
- Using gambling devices.
- Possession of weapons. The offense will be cause for suspension; a second offense will be cause for dismissal.
Dismissal From School Could Result From
- Three (3) suspensions acquired.
- Striking a teacher.
- Use of and/or handling, and/or possession of, and/or dispensing harmful, stimulants, intoxicants, narcotics, cigarettes of similar substances in any form.
- Having in one’s possession guns or any implements of physical force.
- Disseminating immoral ideas or undermining religious ideals of school or continuous criticism and faultfinding.
THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE SHALL INTERPRET CONSTANT AND OBSTINATE VIOLATION OF ANY REGULATION, DEFIANCE, AND INSUBORDINATION TO ANY MEMBERS OF THE STUFF, OR REFUSAL TO MEET ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS AS GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL OF STUDENT.
Procedure For Student Suspension and Return
- A conference with the parent and student is scheduled.
- Parent, student, and school mutually agree upon a plan of action.
- School and parents monitor the implementation of the plan.
- At the end of the suspension, the child must be accompanied by the parent/guardian to the office.
ALL DISMISSALS WILL BE HANDLED BY THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE AND SCHOOL BOARD.
Sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome sexual advancement, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal and physical conduct of a sexual nature.
Sexual harassment may include a wide range of behaviors. It can include:
- Jokes or remarks that are derogatory to members of one sex.
- Intentionally touching a person on the breast, legs, or any other part of the body considered being private.
- Displaying sexually degrading material, in public where seeing is unavoidable.
- Pressuring someone to have sex in return for a favor.
Sexual harassment is a serious offense. Anyone who is found guilty after a thorough investigation will be sent to the Disciplinary Committee.
All students are required to wear the required school uniform each day. In case of an emergency, written explanation from parents/guardians must be sent to the school office.
Grades K-5, maroon jumper, white blouse, tie, maroon sweater, black shoes, no sneakers (only for gym), and maroon socks/tights.
During the cold winter months it often becomes necessary for girls to wear pants as a means of protection against the weather. Consequently, the wearing of pants under the skirts during the winter months is optional.
However, when pants are worn they must be the matching uniform pants supplied by the Ideal Department Store. The student reserves the right to remove the pants (with teachers’ permission) during any course of the school day.
Boys uniform consists of white short or long sleeve shirt, navy blue pants, a maroon plaid tie, maroon blazer, and black shoes, no sneakers (only for gym), and black socks, and gym uniform for gym.
Gym uniform for both boys and girls consists of maroon pants and maroon sweatshirt. Gym footwear must be black, white, or maroon.
The Flatbush Seventh-day Adventist School has adopted a prescribed uniform for the students enrolled in the school. Students of Grades 1-5 are required to wear the full uniform determined by the school. Uniforms are to be obtained from Ideal Department Store, 1814 Flatbush Avenue, near Avenue K, telephone (718) 252-5090. Uniforms should be ordered at least two (2) months in advance to ensure readiness for the opening of school. Please obtain order blanks, style, and price list from the school.
Uniformity in dress is encouraged and students are required to wear full uniform during school attendance as well as to and from school.
Students are also expected to be well groomed at all times and whenever they appear in public. They must be neat, clean, modest, and representative of a true Christian.
Dress and Jewelry
Students are encouraged to dress modestly. Colorful cosmetics, nail polish, items of jewelry including rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, ornaments, and other types of jewelry must not be worn or brought to school. Any such items brought to school will be confiscated until the end of the school year or parents must come to retrieve them.
Parents are requested to cooperate with the school in all these matters, and should send a written note of explanation when a student cannot be in full uniform. Failure to present this note may result in the child being sent home immediately.
The hair should be neat and clean at all times. Hairstyles should be modest. Matted hair is strictly prohibited. Boys should not completely shave their head, nor wear any other extravagant hairstyle. The school administration reserves the right to determine what is appropriate.
Continuous refusal to comply will be considered serious and appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.
RESPONSIBILITY OF STUDENTS TO THE SCHOOL
Every student in the Flatbush Seventh-day Adventist School will be required to:
- Respect the Bible as the Word of God.
- Practice the principles of Christian morals, ethics, fair play, and courtesy in all relationship, abstaining from all forms of violent and unmannerly behavior.
- Keep his/her language above, reproach, refraining from the use of profane and lascivious conversation.
- Uphold the rules and regulations of the school.
- Consistently respect and obey the school staff, parents, and patrons, maintaining a constructively cooperative attitude.
- Dress in full school uniform.
- Attend school punctually and regularly.
- Go direct to and from school in an orderly manner.
- Leave the school premises during the school day only with the permission of the principal and the request or approval of the guardian.
- Pay for all willful damage or mutilation of school property.
- Refrain from the use of artificial cosmetics and wearing jewelry.
- Refrain from the use, handling, or possession of liquor, intoxicating beverages, tobacco, pipes, cigarettes, or narcotics in any form.
- Actively participate in the learning process of the school.
- Have teacher’s permission to bring radios, walkmans, or any other electronic devices to school.
- Present authorized excuse after being absent.
- Refrain from cheating, if caught students will automatically be given an “F”.
- Refrain from bringing radios or tape recorders to school without the teacher’s permission. Any item brought to school including radios, walkmans, or any other electronic devices will be confiscated and held until the end of the school year.
RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENTS AND GUARDIANS
Parents/Guardians shall make the attendance of their child/children effective by cheerfully attending to the following duties:
- See that the student attends school every day on time.
- Insist that the student returns home immediately after school ends.
- Encourage the student to stay on the school grounds during the entire school day.
- Students are to be picked up within the designated time frame of a school day. After 6.00 p.m. Monday – Thursday students not picked up will be taken to the nearest precinct, unless prior arrangements were made with the school.
- Only persons whose names are on the emergency contact card, authorized personnel, parent, or guardian will be allowed to pick up children. An acceptable form of identification must be presented.
- Provide the student with the necessary personal school supplies.
- See that the student takes care of books and supplies.
- Encourage the student to observe health habits.
- Take care of medical problems. The student should be kept home when suspected of having any communicable disease.
- Make an appointment with the school office to discuss school related matters with the teacher. School matters will not be discussed without an appointment.
- Refrain from making critical remarks about the school staff before any student or adult.
- Consistently encourage the student in obeying and upholding the rules and regulations of the school.
- Support the school’s standards, regulations and activities.
- Return the report card with the corresponding signature within three (3) days it has been issued.
- Pay all school bills when due.
- Attend the Home and School Meetings regularly and actively participate in the Home and School activities.
- Sign and return all communications requested by the school.
- Encourage your child to do his or her best.
- Discuss student problems with the teacher before going to the principal.